Step ladders are supposed to be safe, right?
Step ladders are a common feature in any home, and moreover, most owners take for granted that everyone knows how to use a step ladder safely, which is a mistake. Several accidents take place each year, because of this assumption. To help put it in perspective, each year over 500,000 falls take place each year across mainland US and some of them, are even fatal. This is why it is important to review the tips posted below on how to use step ladders safely. It is hard to think of any home that lacks the requisite step ladder; you may need one to paint the garage, or to remove the beehive that’s hanging from the gutter on the roof. The point is that step ladders are essential and you need a good one for your residence.
So, if you are looking for a step ladder to purchase, it can be a tad hard, given the various choices. But the good news is that, we have collated some of the best step ladders in the industry, and have listed them here, with description for easy convenience, so do check them out. Also check Best Fire Escape Ladder for your home.
Best Buy Step Ladders Reviews 2019
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Step Ladders Reviews 2019
- 1. Little Giant 22-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder
- 2. Delxo 3 Step Ladder Folding Step Stool Stepladders
- 3. Delxo 2 Step Stool Folding Step Stool Steel Stepladders with Handgrip Anti-slip
- 4. Best Choice Products 3 Step Ladder Platform Lightweight Folding Stool 330 LBS
- 5. Flip-N-Lite 300-Pound Duty Rating 6-foot Stepladder with Platform
- 6. Delxo Folding 4 Step Ladder Ladder With Convenient Handgrip Anti-Slip
- 7. Delxo Step Stool Stepladders Lightweight White Folding Step Ladder with Handgrip Anti-slip
- 8. LivingSURE 354173 Folding Four Step Ladder with Handrails, Tier, White
- 9. VonHaus Steel 4 Step Ladder Folding Portable Stool with 330lbs Capacity and Anti-Slip Feet
- 10. Little Giant 17-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder, 300-Pound Duty Rating, 15417-001
- Best Step Ladder Buying Guide and FAQ
- Step Ladder Using Safety Tips & Tricks
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Little Giant 22-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder
The Little Giant step ladder is multi functional step ladder is a professional ladder which can be easily utilized for various purposes. It comes with a 22 foot extension and can be quite handy to use, in one’s home. Thanks to its unique design, this step ladder can also be used as A frame ladder, staircase ladder, trestle and plank scaffolding system and more. It comes with 33 unique configurations and one that is easy to handle, at all times. Some of its main features are-
- It comes with broad, easy steps
- It is constructed from Aluminum and is easily portable
- It comes with 22 ft extension as well
- It comes with wide flared legs which help to enhance safety
- It is easily portable and comes with wheels on the bottom
- It is also easily customizable and comes with rock and lock system
2. Delxo 3 Step Ladder Folding Step Stool Stepladders
Granted that Delxo’s step ladder is a little short but it is just the sort you need at your home, to hang the picture on the wall or to dust your chandeliers. It comes with a folding design and wide steps, to provide you with enhanced stability. It also comes with a folding design that permits you to fold up the ladder and safely tuck it away, until required later. Here are some of the product specs –
- It is constructed from heavy duty steel
- It comes with the following dimensions – 18 x 4.3 x 44.3 in
- It is a 3 step, readily assembled steel ladder
- It is multi-functional and durable
- It is designed both for safety and comfort
- It comes with soft hand grips
3. Delxo 2 Step Stool Folding Step Stool Steel Stepladders with Handgrip Anti-slip
This step ladder comes with heavy duty construction as well as two steps with the requisite handgrips which should help enhance safety. The steps themselves are sturdy, as well as robust. This two-step step ladder is a multipurpose ladder that comes with several uses and is quite portable and can be easily stored away.
These are some of the specs
- The product has been approved by TUC and comes with GS certificate
- It comes with the following dimensions when open – L18.5”x W23.2”x H19”
- It comes with a net weight to 11.1 lbs
- It can withstand maximum load of 330 lbs
- Easy to use
4. Best Choice Products 3 Step Ladder Platform Lightweight Folding Stool 330 LBS
This load beading 3 step ladder platform stands out from so many others in the sense that it comes with a tray for holding tools and heavy implements. It can withstand up to 330 Lbs and comes with anti skid rubber feet that provide better stability. It also comes with a foldable design that makes it easy to store this ladder, after you have used it. Check out some of the main specs posted below.
- It comes with the following dimensions when unfolded – 8.7″(L) x 17.7″(W) x 52″(H)
- It is constructed from steel and weighs only 15.2 pounds
- It comes with 60-day warranty
- It is durable
- It is also lightweight and portable
5. Flip-N-Lite 300-Pound Duty Rating 6-foot Stepladder with Platform
As the title suggests, this is indeed a super lightweight step latter that has been rated or industrial construction. It is completely made from aluminum which lends it strength and durability. It also happens to be 6 feet and is multi functional as well. It weighs only 12 pounds approximately and comes with a foldable design that makes for easy storage. Here are a few pertinent points regarding this ladder
- It is completely constructed using Aluminum
- It comes with extra heavy duty Type IA 300 lb ANSI duty rating
- It comes with deep and comfortable rungs
- Offers better safety features
6. Delxo Folding 4 Step Ladder Ladder With Convenient Handgrip Anti-Slip
If you are on the lookout for a compact yet sturdy and durable step ladder with anti slip features, it has got to be this one. What sets this step ladder apart from others is the fact that it comes with enhanced safety features and comes with the requisite GS certificate. It also comes with wide 4 steps that make it easy to use the step ladder for multiple purposes
- It comes with the following dimensions – 56 x 18.3 x 2.2 inches
- It is a 4-step step ladder
- It Is robust, versatile, and durable
- It comes with nonslip rubber protection which makes it more stable
- It also comes with a 60-day warranty as well
7. Delxo Step Stool Stepladders Lightweight White Folding Step Ladder with Handgrip Anti-slip
This is a light weight step ladder despite being entirely constructed of steel. The Delxo step ladder is a two-step ladder that comes with foldable design which makes for easy storage. What’s more, this step ladder is perfect for homes and offices alike and comes with non-skid rubber step pads as well as non skid rubber for safe grip. Here are a few important specs about the ladder
- It is lightweight and weighs only 9 pounds
- It comes with the following dimensions – 22.5 x 19.3 x 2.1 inches
- It also features a foldable design so you can just store it away easily
- It comes with anti skid rubber pads,
- It is easy to use and you can open and close the ladder with one hand.
8. LivingSURE 354173 Folding Four Step Ladder with Handrails, Tier, White
The living sure folding 4-step step ladder comes in an aesthetically pleasing white color, as well as the requisite anti slip treads. But what makes this step ladder stand out is the fact that it is one of the few to feature support handrails, which can provide you with more support. It is multifunctional and can easily support up to 300 lbs. Here are a few important specs about this step ladder
- It is constructed from heavy-duty steel
- Its dimensions are- 32 inch L x 21 inch W x 66 inch H overall with four 10 1/4 inch L x 15 inch W steps
- it weighs only 27.6 pounds
- it is portable
9. VonHaus Steel 4 Step Ladder Folding Portable Stool with 330lbs Capacity and Anti-Slip Feet
The Vonhaus steel 4-step step ladder stands out from the rest; it comes with 4 steps, coated with anti slip rubber treads and provides you with better safety. It is completely constructed from heavy duty steel and is durable, resilient and strong. It can easily bear loads up to 330 lbs and is multifunctional. It also comes with rubber feet which while providing stability can help prevent scratch marks on your floor.
- Completely made from steel, and features four side steps
- It currently weighs 18.7pounds and comes with the following dimensions, Fully opened: H50.4 x D34.5 x W18.3 inches,
- Comes with anti slip rubber treads and provides better safety
- It comes with a foldable design that makes for easy storage
- It also comes with a sturdy safety latch that keeps it folded, until needed.
10. Little Giant 17-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder, 300-Pound Duty Rating, 15417-001
This multipurpose ladder is eye-catching, to say the least, and it comes with dual pin hinge as well as flared legs which can provide you with better stability and safety. What’s more, this device can also stand in as an A-frame, extension, 90-degree ladders, or as a scaffold system. So essentially, you will be getting 5 products in one. This ladder complies with all the current OSHA and ANSI standards and certainly stands out for the right reasons.
- It is a multipurpose and multifunctional ladder
- Its design is unique and patented
- It is completely constructed from Aluminum and weighs only 30.5 pounds
- It can extend up to 30 feet
- It comes with wheels on the bottom for easy transportation
- And it is easily portable
Best Step Ladder Buying Guide and FAQ
To choose the best step ladder according to your requirements, the following points must be remembered at the time of purchasing a step ladder.
Style of the step ladder
There are different styles of ladder available in the market. They have been listed here.
- Standard step ladder consists of steps on one side. The topmost step acts as a platform for keeping tools and other materials.
- The twin-step ladder consists of steps on both sides. Thus, it can accommodate two climbers.
- Tripod ladder has a rail on its rear portion and is suitable for places where standard step ladders do not fit.
- Wall reclining ladder is adjustable which allows it to get to different heights. It can be used for working on the roof and climbing on walls of various heights.
- The style of the ladder you choose must be suitable for the purpose for which you are purchasing the ladder. The design of the ladder must not only be suited to your desired purpose but must also be safe for you to climb and get off. Thus, functionality and safety are the two primary considerations when selecting the style of the ladder.
The ladder height must not fall short of the height required for working safely and effectively. The listed size of a step ladder does not reflect the actual height that you can reach. The average reach for ladders of different sizes in case of single and double-storeyed buildings have been listed here.
For single storey buildings
Max. Reach- 2.3m
Max. Reach- 2.6m
Max. Reach- 3.2m
For double story buildings
Max. Reach- 5.2m
Max. Reach- 7.6m
Max. Reach- 9.9m
Step ladders are made of various materials such as aluminium, fibreglass, wood, plastic and steel. The ladder material must be decided by the kind of work for which you need the step ladder.
Aluminium step ladders are sturdy and can withstand a lot of stress. They are also resistant to corrosion. Another advantage of aluminium step ladders is that they are lightweight and very easy to carry from one place to another. Aluminium step ladders conduct electricity. Thus they should not be used for working on electricity poles and lines.
Steel step ladders are capable of withstanding heavy loads and exhibit high durability. This is the reason why steel step ladders are ubiquitous in factories and warehouses. Steel step ladders are heavy which makes them difficult to carry. They must also be protected against corrosion.
Fibreglass step ladders are strong and durable. They do not conduct electricity, hence are suitable to be used for electrical projects. Fibreglass step ladders cost a little more than other kinds of step ladders due to multiple advantages associated with them.
Wooden step ladders can be used for various home projects. They do not conduct electricity, thus are well suited for electrical projects as well. Wooden step ladders weigh more as compared to aluminium ladders. Wooden step ladders must be stored in a place well protected from the weather elements to prevent the wood from rotting.
Load capacity of a step ladder is the maximum weight it is designed to tolerate. The ladder duty rating indicates the load capacity. The total load capacity of a step ladder includes the weight of the person, the weight of the clothes he/she is wearing and the weight of the things such as tools that the person is carrying. You need to check the duty rating of the step ladder to know about its maximum load capacity. Pick the one according to your requirements. The weight exerted on the step ladder should be below the duty rating and must never cross it. Step ladders used for construction projects must have higher duty ratings as compared to step ladders used for home projects.
Type of base
The best step ladders have a flared base which increases stability and provides more support to the climber. Thus, it is better to look for step ladders with a flared base.
Extra safety features
Sip resistant shoes or feet are one of the defining safety features of the best step ladders available in the market. Such step ladders are suitable for smooth and wet surfaces.
Knee guard is another safety feature present in the best models of step ladders in the market. Knee guard protects the person working on top the ladder from accidental falls.
Extensible step ladders with locks to keep the steps in place are considered the best.
Step ladders having safety locks to keep the platforms secured are also considered the best in the market.
Step Ladder Using Safety Tips & Tricks
There are a few safety tips and tricks that you need to take care of while using a step ladder. Having an idea about how to use a step ladder can help you against any hazards and accidents. We here will list some of the safety tips and tricks.
- Always read and follow the markings and labels provided on the ladder.
- Always look for the overhead power lines before you handle the ladder so that you can avoid the electrical hazards.
- Never use a metal-based ladder near the power lines or the exposed energized equipment.
- Always check the ladder before you use it. If there is any damage in the ladder then instead of using it get it repaired first or totally discard it based on the damage.
- Always have a three-point contact system with the ladder while climbing up. The three points of contact being two hands and a foot or two feet and a hand.
- Use the ladders only with appropriate accessories like levelers, hooks or jacks.
- Do not have any slippery items on the ladder as it may make you slip down the ladder.
- Do not ever use a step ladder in a closed position or in a single ladder type.
- Do not use the top step of the ladder unless you need it.
- Always make sure that there is a stable and level base so that there will never be any displacement.
Portable step ladders are one of the common working tools around and are used extensively. These tend to make the work easier and quicker for workers and more. Working with ladders requires safety tips and tricks as in absence of it, hazards can occur. There are plenty of things at stake while using the ladders so we should keep these things in mind while using it. That way you can have the best results and gain maximum output from the work.
Apart from the aforementioned ones, there are also a few more tips and tricks that you should take care of while going for a step ladder.
Some additional tips and tricks
- Do no place the ladder on any boxes or barrels just to obtain the additional height as that may create an imbalance in the system.
- Do not ever try to move or shift the ladder while there is a person or equipment on it.
- Any extension or straight ladder that is to be used requires at least three feet of distance from the point of support.
- Do not ever sit on the top rung of the ladder be it straight, single or extension ladder.
- There should always be a proper angle for the setting up of the ladder.
- Make sure that all the locks on the extension ladder are properly locked.
- Do not attempt to exceed the load rating on the ladder as doing so will result in an accident.
Following these aforementioned safety tips and tricks will allow you to gain the best results and be safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Can you use a step ladder as a straight ladder?
A step ladder is used normally as a non self-supporting ladder and has a footed bottom, which allows another person to keep their feet so that the ladder is prevented from slipping out. Normally the manufacturers state that the step ladder should be used only for the purpose that they are designed. The rungs should be level while using and if you make it a straight ladder then it will not be level. You should not use the ladder as a straight ladder until and unless it has been designed for it as the instability can create impact which can cause injuries due to falling and more.
2) What is the maximum weight you should carry on a ladder?
You should have to have the three points of contact on the ladder via your hands and feet. Make sure that you can maintain the contact for safety reasons. If there is light work and the ladder is very light, you can carry weight up to 10 kg up on it as you also need to make sure of manual handling risk that it comes with. If there is already a handhold available on the ladder then you can carry around 15 kg but you need to make sure of the contact points. Ladders also come with a maximum weight instruction that you can see in the manual.
3) What is the biggest cause of ladder accidents?
There are various reasons as to why ladder accidents occur and major reason of it is using a ladder that is very short and not reachable for the job required. A short ladder would mean that you have to extend yourself while standing on the top rung to reach out to the top corner. That way, the balance between yourself and ladder is broken and you fall causing ladder accident and in turn hurting and injuring yourself. Always make sure that you have proper adequate ladder for the job. Also if you are using the old and damaged or worn ladders then also injuries and ladder accidents happen.
4) What is the ANSI Certification?
ANSI stands for American National Standards Institute. This organisation frames rules on ladder construction. ANSI certification means that the ladder meets all the prescribed standards.
5) What are the cost factors?
Cost of a step ladder depends upon its duty rating, ANSI type, design and the material used in its construction.
These are some of our top choices when it comes to step ladders. Irrespective of whether you use it for construction or in your home, these ladders should prove handy and be safe to use, at all times. It is essential that you take adequate care when using these or for that matter, any ladder and exercise due to precaution. Pick the one that you consider to be a good fit, given your current requirements.