Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disease which leads to a lot of complications like high blood pressure, heart disease, retinal damage, etc. Apart from these complications, diabetes can also adversely affect your foot. Diabetic patient can be susceptible to foot infections, injury or nerve damage. Nerve damage is called diabetic neuropathy and is characterized by numbness in feet and toes, tingling or burning sensation in the feet, ulcers, deformities of the foot and pain in the foot. Improper care of foot can lead to amputation. Wearing diabetes socks is an essential part of diabetic foot care.
Diabetic socks are designed to increase blood circulation to the foot by compression. Moisture-wicking materials used in the diabetic socks prevent moisture accumulation, thereby preventing fungal growth on the foot by keeping it dry. Diabetic socks are also padded to protect the foot against injuries.
Types of diabetic socks
Table of Contents
- List of Top 10 Best Diabetic Socks In 2019
- 1. Falari Diabetic Socks
- 2. Dr Scholl’s Premium Diabetic Socks
- 3. Yomandamor Women’s Bamboo Diabetic Socks
- 4. Wigwam Diabetic Thermal Socks
- 5. Dr Scholl’s Women’s Advanced Relief Diabetic Socks
- 6. SB SOX Compression Diabetic Socks
- 7. Debra Weitzner Diabetic Socks For Men/Women
- 8. ENEM Apparel Diabetic Socks
- 9. MediPEDS Diabetic Socks
- 10. Extra Wide Diabetic Socks
Diabetic socks are available in many styles and lengths. Diabetic socks coming up to the knee or calf are suitable for diabetic patients facing circulation problems to the foot. Shorter diabetic socks such as the ones with covering just the ankles are suitable for diabetics with active lifestyles.
Diabetic socks can be made of yarn infused with copper or silver threads. The copper or silver threads protect the foot against bacterial and fungal infection effectively. They also kill odour. Diabetic socks made of blister guard yarn are specifically designed to reduce friction which cause blisters on the foot.
Diabetic socks with extra padding and greater thickness are also available for diabetic patients who are more into vigorous exercises. Padded acrylic diabetic socks and socks with gel padding are considered to be the best socks for diabetic neuropathy because of their high ability to protect the foot against injuries and provide comfort.
Smart diabetic socks are also available in the market. Such diabetic socks are equipped with fiber-optic sensors which monitor the foot temperature and pressure and alert the patient in case of a risk of ulcer formation. Smart diabetic socks help in preventing amputations due to infection and ulcer formation.
List of Top 10 Best Diabetic Socks In 2019
The top ten best diabetic socks available in the market have been listed here.
1. Falari Diabetic Socks
Falari diabetics socks is a physician-approved therapeutic brand of diabetic socks. The socks are made of 90% cotton, 7% polyester and 3% elastane. The non-binding top of the socks provide a loose fit but doesn’t reduce circulation. This is one of the best diabetic socks for men. Other features of the socks are as follows.
- Suitable for diabetics suffering from circulatory problems, neuropathy or edema.
- Compatible with washing machines.
- Available in packs containing 12 pairs of socks.
2. Dr Scholl’s Premium Diabetic Socks
Dr Scholl’s Premium Diabetic Socks contain 95% polyester, 4% other fibers and 1% spandex. Non-binding top and soft-stretch characteristic of the socks make for a comfortable fit and also make them easy to wear and remove. The socks keep the feet dry by utilising free flow moisture management technology. Silvadur odour resistant properties keep away bad odour and preserve the freshness of the socks at all times. Other main features of the socks are as follows.
- Ultra-soft toe seam called Invisiseamer provides comfort to sensitive feet.
- Made of premium imported materials to provide the best comfort and fitting.
- Suitable for washing in machines.
3. Yomandamor Women’s Bamboo Diabetic Socks
Yomandamor Women’s Bamboo Diabetic Socks contain 70% bamboo and 30% elastane material which provide a blend of excellent fit and superior comfort. The non-binding top enables good circulation, reduces foot pressure and prevents infection. The smooth toe seam provides comfort to sensitive feet by preventing irritation. Other important features of the socks are as follows.
- Micromesh and breathing hole helps the socks in removing sweat from the feet and enables it to breath.
- Odour resistant properties prevent bad odours.
- Antibacterial properties protect the foot against bacterial infection.
- One of the best diabetic socks for women especially for the elderly due to high level of comfort.
4. Wigwam Diabetic Thermal Socks
Wigmam Diabetic Thermal Socks provide a high degree of warmth and protection to the feet during cold winter months. Made of 65% acrylic, 20% merino wool, 10% stretch nylon, 4% stretch polyester and 1% elastic rubber, the socks shield the foot from the outside cold temperature. This is an important function because cold temperature constricts the blood vessels and reduce circulation. Moisture management technology of the socks keep the feet dry without sweat buildup. Other main features of the socks are as follows.
- Relaxed fit with good compression to enhance circulation.
- Reverso toe closure to provide maximum comfort to the toes.
- Recognized as high-quality diabetic socks by American and Canadian Podiatric Medical Association.
5. Dr Scholl’s Women’s Advanced Relief Diabetic Socks
Dr Scholl’s Women’s Advanced Relief Diabetic Socks are highly suited for diabetics facing circulation issues. The socks are made of 96% Polyester, 3% other Fibers and 1% Spandex. These are ankle socks with soft and non-binding top to comfortably fit on the leg without reducing circulation. Moisture management technology used in the socks enable the feet to remain dry and comfortable at all times. Cushioning has been designed to reduce friction, thereby preventing blister formation. Other main features of the socks are as follows.
- Very soft and cushioned sole provides maximum comfort.
- Pull on closure mechanism
- Suitable for machine washing.
6. SB SOX Compression Diabetic Socks
SB SOX Compression Diabetic Socks have been designed to provide excellent blood circulation and comfort during walking, jogging, cycling and other forms of exercise. The socks cover the legs up to the calves and provide compression-30 mm of Hg to enhance blood circulation and reduce lactic acid formation in the muscle due to workouts. Lightweight and breathable fabric prevents discomfort during workouts. Other features of the socks are as follows.
- Reinforced cushioned toe and heel support provide good comfort without compromising on the mobility of the person.
- No-slip cuff holds the socks in place during exercises.
- Anti-odour and anti-bacterial properties make the socks free of odour and prevent bacterial and fungal growth.
- Available in small, medium, large and extra large sizes with different calf circumferences.
7. Debra Weitzner Diabetic Socks For Men/Women
Debra Weitzner Diabetic Socks For Men/Women are made of 90% cotton. The socks are suitable for both and women and have received approval from physicians. These socks are suitable for diabetics suffering from edema or neuropathy. Loose fit top of the socks help in increasing the blood circulation to the foot. The socks are soft and breathable with good fitting. Other features of the socks are as follows.
- Loose knit design enables good cushioning of the foot without compromising blood circulation in any way.
- Come in three sizes; Standard size for women ranging from 9 to 11 inches; Standard size for men ranging from 10 to 13 inches; Large size ranging from 13 to 15 inches.
- Available in black, white and grey colour options.
8. ENEM Apparel Diabetic Socks
ENEM Apparel Diabetic Socks are classy in appearance with fine ribbing. The socks feature 80% cotton, 17% poly and 3% spandex. The non-elastic wide top and non-binding feature facilitates good circulation. Seamless toe provides good comfort especially to sensitive feet. Soft and breathable fabric along with loose fitting provides comfort to the feet. They are available in a plethora of extra large sizes and colours. Other features of the socks are as follows.
- Doesn’t fade or lose its shape after washing.
- Easy to wash in the machine.
- Suitable for wearing at home, office or parties.
9. MediPEDS Diabetic Socks
MediPEDS Diabetic Socks are made of 63% Polyester, 35% Coolmax Polyester and 2% Lycra Spandex. Non-binding top provides good fit without compromising the blood circulation. The lycra spandex fibers enable the socks to be stretched extra and recover original shape easily. Coolmax polyester used in the socks keeps the feet dry by preventing moisture from getting to the feet. Other features of the socks are as follows.
- Soft cushioning protects the feet against shocks especially in the high impact areas, thereby preventing injuries.
- Manufactured in USA.
- Suitable for washing in machine.
10. Extra Wide Diabetic Socks
Extra Wide Diabetic Socks are stretchable up to 25 inches. They come in two types; Extra Wide medical quarter for anklet and Extra Wide medical crew for mid-calf. The socks contain 91% cotton, 7% nylon and 2% spandex. The antimicrobial technology used in making the socks makes them resistant against bacterial growth and odours. Other features of the socks are as follows.
- Toe seam is on the outside to protect the feet against irritation.
- Stays in position perfectly and does not become deformed after repeated use.
- Suitable for protecting feet, ankles and calves in case of edema or some other complication.
The current condition of the foot must be considered before selecting a pair of diabetic socks. If the foot is dry and cracked, then soft diabetic socks are useful. In case, diabetic neuropathy has robbed the feet of all kinds of sensations, socks which fit perfectly must be selected. Very tight socks must be avoided if the circulation is poor due to diabetes.